Sunday, January 27, 2008

No excuses, no regrets. . . fish on (can I help you)

I think there are only two people who have ever read this blog, which has not been updated in about 11 months. So for you, I'm sorry. I'm either sorry that I let you down by not writing, or I'm sorry that I started writing again. . . whatever shoe fits. So there will be no flow, no updates, and no connection to the previous entries. If you're playing the home game, it is important to know, I guess that:
1: I started a new job in june
2: There was no road trip, and no "Hawk's Place" sign was ever secured.

I think a lot of people are reviewing new year's resolutions right now, trying to remember why it was that in a moment of hungover reflection on new years day they decided they were going to go to the gym more, be nicer to people, or some other futile effort like that. So my resolution(s) involved stuff I really wanted to do, and they really only serve my own goals. Long story short, more time out with friends, more one-on-one time with the good ones, and expansion of my boulder food and beverage resume.

So those first two are pretty obvious, and something I'm pretty serious about now that I'm not traveling 5 times a month for work. As far as the food and drink, I've come to realize that I go to the same places a lot. Most of them I really enjoy. But after 10 years in the people's republic, there are a lot of places I've never been. And that is changing.

I'm drawn to new (to me) places now. The Pita Pit was my first conquest. Yeah, 10 years, never stopped in before lunch the other day. I did, it's over, and it is probably off the list. But I'm glad I went, and I'm not bummed that I did.

So last night I went on a "mini vacation" with a very good friend of mine. The gameplan was to get some dinner. . . little did she know that she was helping fulfil resolutions 1 and 2. When I got to the door, she immediatly called the play that secured #3. Turns out, her mom had sent a resturant review of a new place in boulder (which, she and I agreed, will remain nameless until after the 2nd time we go there for dinner). This place was awesome, and I can't really figure out what detail emerged to give it such a high ranking on the awesomeness scale.

When we got there, we both immediatly felt like we were not in boulder (in a good way). The whole staff was friendly, even shook our hands and asked our names at the bar, which is where we ended up eating. Called us by name every time we spoke, introdused is to the so-mal-e-a (sp? wine guy). This story could go on for hours, so I'll cut to the chase. Awesome atmosphere, great food, amazing wine. Good company too. All together, maybe the best dinner/most fun I've had in boulder. . . Ever. So bummed to leave and walk back outside "into boulder."

So what did we learn? Resolutions 1-3 are in full swing and awesome. So psyched that I didn't pick "read more books" or something like that.

Today I went to Home Depot. I didn't need anything, I'm not even sure that I carried my wallet, I had no intention to buy. Most of the time, when I'm actually shopping, I can't find anybody in orange to help me out. Today, I didn't need anything, and the Home Depot Helpers (HDH) were all over me, like I looked totally lost.

HDH: "Can I help you find something?"
No I'm fine thanks.

Next HDH: "finding everythign you need?"
Yep, all set, thanks!

Another HDH: "You look like you are looking for something"
Actually, I'm just walking around. Do you ever have one of those days when you just want to walk around a hardware store?
"uhh, I guess, so I can't help you find anything"


So thanks for reading. What is the real motivation behind this resurgance of SkiBum blogging you ask? Grad School Essays. Due soon, haven't started. Keep sitting down to do it, keep finding things that "have to be done before I could posibally start writing," like using a q-tip to clean the grout lines in the shower, or sorting that box of undergrad papers and textbooks that somehow didn't get tossed in the move.

Sportcenter is up next. . .

1 comment:

Oi! Ruby said...

Not only did you inspire to me start posting again - you're resolutions read my mind! That is exactly what I need out of the new year--although I still think we need to acquire some Hawk signage!!